The Messenger is Intercom’s flagship product that powers 500M conversations a month, reaching 4 billion unique people worldwide. We’re investing to realise our vision to make Intercom the standard and de facto choice in this new era of business messaging. Our ambition is to bring a messenger-first experience to all business-to-consumer communication and to achieve this we are expanding our office in San Francisco, our product engineering center for the Intercom Messenger.
This opportunity is to join Intercom as a Senior member of our engineering team and as a technical leader on our Messenger product engineering team.
What is it like to work for Intercom?
Our culture is open and friendly and inclusive – and this is something we are proud of. We are optimistic, passionate and positive. We like people who can stay focused and work hard with good work / life balance, and who are confident, yet kind and humble. We like to experiment, sometimes inventing things for the first time, but we stay pragmatic, starting small and simple in everything we do. We love people who genuinely want to learn and grow, and we take bets on high potential engineers on rapid trajectories. We’re opinionated by default, for example we run less software and ship continuously. We’re technically conservative and like to keep it simple, but where it means building better products we’ll double down on new technology like machine learning in a pragmatic way.
What will I be doing? ?
- Help shape our Messenger strategy and roadmap
- Own, drive and execute on the most important, hard to execute problems on the team
- Building mastery over all team systems and technologies
- Collaborate directly with partners across product, design, analytics, sales, and marketing
- Teach, mentor, coach and be a role model to other engineers
- Operate as a technical leader, force multiplier and influencer across our San Francisco engineering base
- Collaborate with our product Engineering bases in Dublin and London
What skills do I need? ?
- Fluency in Ruby On Rails or Ember.js or React
- Strong technical depth, with a strong track record in upskilling on new domains and technologies
- Demonstrated great outcomes in building new products and new product feature
- Demonstrated competence in great technical design, solution scoping and planning
- A growth mindset and an eagerness to learn and teach others
- An ability to thrive self-directed in an ambiguous environment with a high degree of autonomy
How will I be supported?
- You’ll report directly to an Engineering Manager who’ll start you off with a great onboarding plan
- You’ll embed immediately in our Messenger team and receive peer support from an Interbuddy
- We invest heavily in our Engineers, supporting individual career development through training and coaching
- If you need to move to the Bay Area from elsewhere in the US, we’ll support you with a relocation package
- We pay well above median San Francisco market rates in cash compensation and reward high performance
- Our current focus is profitability and we grant stock options so our people can share in our success when we get there
- We provide a catered lunch and breakfast every weekday – plus a fully stocked kitchen
- We offer a thoughtful parental leave program, with 6.5 months for primary and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers
- We offer fully funded comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- We offer a genuinely open vacation policy – most of our folks take 20 days of paid time off every year
- We also observe an additional 10 corporate days where our offices are closed
- We offer commuter benefits and in-office bicycle storage
- We offer a 401k plan
- We pride ourselves on an open, friendly collaborative and diverse office environment
Whether our customers want to encourage their customers to self serve with articles, automate with bots or target chat to specific segments
Intercom is customer messaging that fits their business. Intercom is also the best team inbox for sales and support AND the leading choice for targeted outbound messages that deliver. Valued at over $1bn, Intercom has been ranked among the best on the Crunchbase unicorn leaderboard since 2018. In our 8 year history, we’ve built world class sales, marketing and R&D functions, and published a number of books along the way.
Eligibility to work in the United States is required. H1B transfers will be considered.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.