As a Staff Engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will orchestrate tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers’ lives (both inside DO and in the ‘wild’) easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If your passion is Distributed Systems, this is the right job for you. This role can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- The ability to define and drive a technical vision within teams, across teams, and across pillars.
- Ability to mentor other engineers.
- Ability to lead large projects across multiple teams and pillars.
- The ability to flex communication style to influence and present to many audiences (peers, directors, execs).
- Ability to define business requirements in partnership with product management and create minimally complex designs that groups of teams across pillars can deliver on.
- Ability to guide multiple projects across pillars through the full lifecycle (including design, implementation, release, maintenance).
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Python, C/C++, Java
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming
- Record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Familiarity with Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet
- Ability to contribute throughout all phases of a service lifecycle from conception through design, development, deployment and ultimately operation
- A commitment to monitoring and observability
- Ability to handle on call rotation
- Operational familiarity with Linux servers
- Systems thinking
- Strong opinions, weakly held