At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their educations and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome. And that’s where you come in:
Software Engineer – All-rounder
- Pioneers: we are the second development centre of Instructure, the first developers placed outside of the states
- On a mission: Our field is education, we want to change how people learn, from the first day of school to the last day of work
- Product enthusiasts: We are developing Canvas and Bridge, our learning management system and employee development platform for +30 million users worldwide
- Engineers: We love to understand what is happening under the hood. We are generalists, rather than possessed with one language or framework
- Tolerant: if you have no experience with our current stack, but interested in our mission and eager to learn, drop a line for us
- Language independent: currently we are using Kotlin and Node.js on backend, spiced with React frontend. The core application was written in Ruby on Rails, and we have components in Go and Clojure as well. If our options change, we adopt.
- Cloud native: we are one of the biggest AWS customers, everything is Dockerized, running in the cloud
- Productive: our teams have huge independence on their methods, some of us are using Scrum, others practicing Extreme Programming, whatever fits better
- Experienced: most of the team is senior, we are looking for at least 3-5 years of experience, but 10+ is also welcomed
What you’ll do:
- Write code. We believe in software engineers spending their time on what they do best, writing code.
- Build innovative web applications. RESTful, easy to consume APIs and single-page, rich JS applications.
- Work on high-traffic, highly available, fault-tolerant backend microservices in a variety of languages.
- Work on highly-accessible front-end apps in collaboration with our UX research and design teams.
- Help with DevOps and building deployment pipelines.
- Work with AWS services.
- Work in Agile teams.
- Learn new technologies and languages.
Instructure is helping people grow from the first day of school to the last day of work. More than 30 million people use its Canvas and Bridge platforms for learning management and employee development.
Technology we use