Akamai’s Media Delivery team is looking for an enthusiastic and highly versatile software engineer to work on the Edge servers that form the backbone of the Akamai Intelligent Platform. The candidate will have the opportunity to work with software that powers one of the largest cloud networks in the world. We are looking for an engineer who loves writing code, has strong desire to learn and lead new technologies and wants to collaborate with a team that is committed to delivering high impact software at scale.
Required Education and Experience:
* 5 years of relevant experience and a Bachelors degree or
* 3 years of relevant experience and a Masters degree or
* 5+ years experience programming with C/C++
* 5+ years experience with multi-threaded systems on Linux or other Unix-like flavors.
* 3+ years’ experience with protocols, particularly HTTP and TCP/IP, DNS and SSL.
* Familiarity with machine learning frameworks and libraries.
* Proven track record of working on high quality code that needs knowledge of interaction with different subsystems such as memory manager, file system, and networking.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Knowledge of scripting languages like Python or Perl.
* Knowledge of Streaming Media Technologies like HLS and MPEG-DASH.
* Knowledge of Distributed systems.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will:
* Focus on design, development and maintenance of highly scalable software that runs on the Akamai Edge Servers. This software is used by almost all Akamai customers, giving you the opportunity to work on high impact projects that affect Akamai’s bottom-line revenue.
* Find the work highly technical and rewarding, as the challenge lies in the sheer scale at which Akamai operates.
* Work with programming languages such as C/C++ and Python/Perl.
* Lead new feature development and projects for our Media customers.
* Work with groups within Akamai to solve customer issues and handle escalations.
* Participate in design reviews and drive requirements for more robust and cost-effective solutions.
About the Team
The candidate will be part of the highly skilled Media Delivery team that’s responsible for the software that runs on Akamai’s world-wide Intelligent platform, which is one of the largest distributed systems in the world.
The Media division is responsible for developing Akamai’s Live/On-demand OTT (Over-the-Top) solutions as well as for the software used to deliver, download, store, and manage digital media and other web content via the Akamai network. Due to the unmatched scale and video streaming quality of the Akamai network, almost all of large-scale broadcasters, film distributors as well as sports broadcasters use this platform to reach millions of end users throughout the world. The group is directly responsible for developing software which streams almost all of the biggest online events including World Cup Soccer, Indian Premier League, Olympics, March Madness, Super Bowl, and other major sporting and entertainment events.