Is Big Data really big? If you want to explore this area, learn what massive data volumes mean and how internet works, join Platform Data Services team – a small group of elite software engineers that analyze, design and implement system software that brings new functionality, increased reliability, and enhanced scalability to Akamai’s high-performance Distributed Data platform.
Required Education and Experience
* 5 years of experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
* 3 years of experience and a Master’s degree
* PhD and relevant experience.
* 5+ years of experience working with Linux or a Unix based OS.
* 5+ years of experience with C,C++ .
* 5+ years of experience with building scalable distributed systems.
* Experience with the following scripting languages: Lua, Python, Perl, Bourne shell/Bash.
* Solid experience with common Internet protocols: DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, TLS, UDP.
* Experience with databases, SQL, and/or distributed key-value storage solutions.
* Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
* Self-motivated with a strong work ethic, positive attitude.
* Ability to work with little supervision.
* Good debugging skills.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be responsible for:
* Developing software that improves the security, stability, speed, and scalability of our software services
* Designing and developing new features, optimizing and enhancing existing software functionality
* Driving feature development from idea inception through design and testing to operational deployment
* Understanding broad sets of use cases, building the right API’s and features to support them
* Improving the testability, deployment, monitorability, usability and maintainability of our software
* Becoming a subject matter expert (SME) for our systems with an ability to explain and improve complicated code bases and assist with troubleshooting complex problems
* Partner with engineering peers, system architects, QA and program managers to deliver to market mission critical data systems
* Documenting the code and features to help with debugging and to enhance usability.
About the Team
The Platform Data Services(PDS) team develops and operates multiple services deployed on several Akamai private cloud networks. These services collect, process, and store data about every transaction that is executed on Akamai edge. Data owned by PDS, is being consumed for the purposes of business analytics and decisions support, customer analytics, product KPIs, Akamai’s cost structure management and Akamai’s network management. Akamai delivers traffic reaching peaks of 50 Tbps every day. The PDS team has end-to-end responsibility for the design, development and deployment of the platform components that enable one of the world’s largest cloud-based data systems.