Akamai’s Media Delivery team is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and highly versatile software engineer to work on the Edge servers that form the backbone of the Akamai Intelligent Platform. The candidate will have the opportunity to work with software that powers one of the largest cloud networks in the world. We are looking for an engineer who loves writing code, has strong desire to learn new technologies and wants to collaborate with a team that is committed to delivering high impact software at scale.
As a part of the Media Delivery team, you will focus on design, development and maintenance of highly scalable software that runs on the Akamai Edge Servers. This software is used by almost all Akamai customers, giving you the opportunity to work on high impact projects that affect Akamai’s bottom-line revenue.
Required Education and Experience:
* 8 years of relevant experience and a Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field or
* 6 years of relevant experience and a Masters degree in Computer Science or related field or
* 3 years of relevant experience and a PhD in Computer Science or related field
* Minimum 8 years of experience programming in C/C++
* Minimum 5 years of experience with multi-threaded systems on Linux or other Unix-like flavors.
* Minimum 3 years of experience with protocols, particularly HTTP and TCP/IP, DNS and SSL/TLS.
* Familiarity with machine learning frameworks and libraries is a plus.
* Experience in system software design, implementation and software development life cycle.
* Proven track record of working on high quality code that needs knowledge of interaction with different subsystems such as memory manager, file system, and networking.
* Strong troubleshooting skills that spans networks, systems, software stacks, and applications.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Understanding of good coding standards like usage of Design Patterns.
* Knowledge of scripting languages like Python or Perl.
* Knowledge of Streaming Media Technologies like HLS and MPEG-DASH.
* Knowledge of Distributed systems.
Scope and Responsibilities:
* You will find the work highly technical and rewarding, as the challenge lies in the sheer scale at which Akamai operates.
* Given the critical nature of the software, we expect robustness and completeness of code. You will also be required to take full ownership of the assigned modules.
* Work with programming languages such as C/C++ and Python/Perl.
* Work with groups within Akamai to solve customer issues and handle escalations.
* Participate in design reviews and drive requirements for more robust and cost-effective solutions.
* We highly value independence, and creative solutions are not only accepted, but also expected!
About the Team
The candidate will be part of the highly skilled Media Delivery team that’s responsible for the software that runs on Akamai’s world-wide Intelligent platform, which is one of the largest distributed systems in the world. Our software is a combination of many different technologies. It is a web server, a web client, a distributed caching engine, and so much more. Features related to web/caching/streaming/security are all built on top of the core functionality of these servers.
The Media division is responsible for developing Akamai’s Live/On-demand OTT (Over-the-Top) solutions as well as for the software used to deliver, download, store, and manage digital media and other web content via the Akamai network. Due to the unmatched scale and video streaming quality of the Akamai network, almost all of large-scale broadcasters, film distributors as well as sports broadcasters use this platform to reach millions of end users throughout the world. The group is directly responsible for developing software which streams almost all of the biggest online events including World Cup Soccer, Indian Premier League, Olympics, March Madness, Super Bowl, and other major sporting and entertainment events.