Buildings are responsible for 40% of the world’s energy footprint. A typical building contains thousands of pieces of equipment, sensors, and interconnections. Gridium makes software that helps people run their buildings better, at a lower cost and with less energy.
We are seeking a full-time Senior Project Development Engineer in the Western US (ideally CA, WA or OR) to help our commercial and medical office customers convert Gridium’s analytics-based recommendations to deep energy improvements. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned professional in commercial buildings and able to quickly and confidently assist customers in developing high leverage energy efficiency projects, and work to execution with a variety of customers and external partners. This is a senior role with leadership potential as Gridium’s service offerings advance and with a wide platform to leave your mark on the industry (Gridium is currently deployed in over 1,200 commercial buildings).
About the job
Gridium seeks a building systems expert to perform the role of Senior Project Development Engineer and help our clients convert software-based analytics into asset-enhancing energy improvements. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of how energy is consumed and wasted in commercial buildings, and the ability to develop an accurate initial assessment of comprehensive energy savings opportunities across the entire facility. Extensive field experience is critical in helping customers avoid potential cost overruns or maintenance issues associated with many Energy Efficiency Measures (EEMs). Please plan to come with your own strong opinions about what works and entertaining stories from the field.
The position requires working closely with building operators and facility staff for the collection of remote and on-site data, staff interviews, and detailed site assessments. Development responsibilities will also extend to customer and external teams that are tasked with design-build, as well as external parties responsible for system commissioning.
- Perform in-field energy assessments
- Gather customer requirements
- Review energy models
- Develop project schedules
- Build cost and savings forecasts
- Support the development of customer and utility project proposals
- Provide recommendations for operational efficiencies
- Conduct in-person or phone interviews with key building staff
- Collect accurate site data including trends, data logs, equipment nameplates and building operation details
- Process field data and generate quality reports quickly
- Work with third parties on drafting and review of project proposals
- Understanding of energy conservation principles and techniques including energy analysis
- Deep knowledge of all energy-related systems in commercial buildings
- Extensive experience working under the International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP)
- Engineering level knowledge of facility maintenance procedures, standards, and construction QA/QC and scheduling
- Proficiency with DOE-2 based energy modeling software and Energy Star Benchmarking a plus
- Strong ability to communicate to a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders verbally and through writing
- Experience designing energy projects in support of performance based financing mechanism
- Display well developed verbal and technical writing skills
- 10+ years of experience in the industry or equivalent
- Engineering degree required. PE preferred.
- Travel up to 50% may be required
Gridium is a growing, venture-backed SaaS software provider for buildings. Our products help commercial property owners manage all aspects of their buildings, from energy to work orders, from analytics to project execution. We serve buildings of every shape and size, deploying a range of statistical and machine learning techniques to help develop energy efficiency strategies, streamline operations, and delight tenants.
We are a distributed company, so all employees work remotely. Remote work allows us to find great people wherever they happen to be, and it allows you to structure your day flexibly and with minimal interruption so that you can get stuff done in the style that makes most sense for you.
Of course, spending time face-to-face is important, so once a quarter we pick a city and meet up for several days of highly productive and highly fun planning and doing (and eating and recreating). Past trips include Austin, Breckenridge, Chicago, New Orleans, San Diego, and more.
We have a casual work environment where everyone’s ideas and opinions matter. We are committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are the basis for our success, we take great care and pride in how we attract, hire, and support our employees.
The position comes with salary, stock options, 401(k) match, a great health plan, vision, dental, generous parental leave, and a flexible vacation policy — we want you to take the time off you need so that you are happy and productive.
And of course
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.