We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind—creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that’s not only incredibly talented, but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
In your role as a senior software engineer you will be an expert in modern day application development. You will have familiarity with the practices of high-performing engineering organizations such as Git-Flow, pull requests, unit testing, cloud architecture & design, and SCRUM. You will be an excellent hands-on contributor and you’ll be a mentor for other software engineers.
- Build and maintain powerful APIs that will be used by agents to quote and bind policies for small business owners.
- Write clean, well-tested code and automated unit tests using Ruby / Ruby on Rails.
- Participate in agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, retrospective, and daily standups.
- Work with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery.
- Create more senior engineers by mentoring other engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, and SDLC.
- 5+ years of professional experience with at least 3 years of Ruby on Rails
- Previous working experience in high-growth technology companies and/or startups
- Understanding of scrum, unit testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Knowledge of microservice architectures and RESTful APIs, especially in Ruby on Rails
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating very desirable.
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Bonus points for open source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Previous experience working in a remote role a plus!
- Monday lunches! We know you’re not local, so no worries, we’ll cover your lunch too.
- Office equipment is your call. Whether you prefer Mac, PC, or Linux, one screen or three, we’ll set you up for success.
- Stay connected to the Glacier. We slack. A lot. We also like to video conference on the regular.
- See the Glacier (from your home). We kick off every week with an all-hands meeting on Monday and we have a second weekly meeting on Thursday.
- Travel to the Glacier. We have an open door philosophy. Our engineering organization will host events throughout the year too.
- Penguins thrive in colonies. That’s why we created colorful engagement teams. These teams have their own Slack channels, events, and sometimes a little friendly team competition!