Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity?
Intercom’s Android Messenger SDK is integrated into thousands of Android apps and used by millions of users. We’re doubling the size of our mobile team in 2020 and now looking for an Android Engineer to help us shape and accelerate our mobile Messenger strategy. In this role, you’ll be part of the team consisting of mobile engineers, product manager, designer and full-stack engineers that own problems end-to-end for all mobile offerings at Intercom.
Building a visual Messenger SDK allows you to ship beautiful and quality UI/UX for millions of users while also giving you a unique opportunity to go deeper into the Android operating system than you would building an app.
How does mobile work in Intercom?
We value autonomy in our teams at Intercom. The mobile team is staffed with Android, iOS and full-stack engineers as well as a Designer and Product manager. We own problems end to end, which means you will work with all those people as we build new products. While we don’t expect you to write code outside of the Android codebase, it is important to be willing to learn, fully understand and take ownership of the system and customer experience end to end.
Our Android Messenger SDK is built in Java to ensure best compatibility and resilience of our SDK across a variety of Android apps, system versions and devices. We are open to change, adopting the right tools for the job but we are pragmatic in how we use our time and what risks we are willing to take.
The mobile team collaborates with the other teams in Intercom as we bring a range of features to the mobile SDKs. As platform experts, we know what’s best on mobile and can help support and upskill other teams to adopt their features for mobile.
We value moving fast and shipping to learn at Intercom. We’ve got a great CI setup with extensive unit test coverage using JUnit and Robolectric and UI tests with Espresso and Firebase. Our strong test coverage allows us to safely move fast without breaking existing features.
What will I be doing?
- Collaborate on shaping our mobile strategy and roadmap across all Intercom offerings.
- Owning problems end to end, working with design, product, backend engineers as well as other Android and iOS engineers to solve the biggest problems for our customers. We believe in autonomous teams and that best mobile products are created from close collaboration across the stack, without barriers.
- Help us make the right tradeoffs while being pragmatic and building for the long term.
- Develop technical plans and contribute to our technical architecture as we grow.
- We move fast at Intercom but building a mobile SDK demands a very high quality bar. You will build long-standing, well tested and reliable Android code.
What skills do I need?
- 2+ years experience building mobile products on Android.
- Knowledge of Java or Kotlin, Android APIs and design patterns.
- You’ve published one or more apps in the Play Store.
- Experience collaborating directly with product teams and designers, and the ability to deliver value to customers or users. Engineers at Intercom are pragmatists who work closely with others on cross-disciplinary teams.
How will I be supported?
- You’ll report directly to an Engineering Manager who will start you off with a great onboarding plan.
- You’ll embed immediately into our Mobile team and receive dedicated peer support from one of our engineers.
- We invest heavily in our Engineers, supporting individual career development through training and coaching.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.