About the Role
You’ll be working with our existing deployments of Chef, Vault, Consul, Docker, Ansible, ELK, Grafana, Statsd, Asterisk, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Zeromq, Puma, Jenkins, and many other exciting open source systems.
Of course, you’ll also have the freedom to deploy something else if it gets the job done.
As a member of our infrastructure team, your work will be mostly project-based, but will also involve being part of an on-call rotation for the systems you maintain. (Generally there are not many after hours incidents.)
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience.
- Experience managing large cloud server deployments that have seen real production usage.
- Experience building distributed, failure-resistant architecture, including disaster recovery, backups, failover, etc.
- Significant experience working with GNU/Linux servers, including a complete understanding of the command line, /proc, services, processes, virtual memory, etc.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving problems in mission-critical environments.
- Comprehensive understanding of networking concepts (layers, firewalls, DNS, VPN, etc) and how to build secure infrastructure and an awareness of common server security vulnerabilities.
- Proficiency with configuration management tools, such as Chef or Puppet, and fluency with at least one major scripting language.
- Experienced programmer capable of writing code in at least 2-3 major programming languages.
- Contributions to major open source projects.
- Familiarity with large scale monitoring and analysis systems, such as ELK or Splunk (we use ELK).
- History managing a large database at scale (we use MySQL).
- Experience with the advanced features of public cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure (we use AWS).
- Experience working on a remote team.
Examples of Projects our Infrastructure Team Tackles:
- Building zero-downtime failover from one AWS region to another for complex web applications.
- Securing our network using tools like Terraform and Vault.
- Deploying and managing internal services for things like LDAP, VPN, and telephone.
- Managing our AWS infrastructure that includes dozens of VPCs, S3 buckets, etc.
- Designing and building our sophisticated monitoring stack and app uptime alerting.
- Contributing to the codebase of our home-built FTP and SFTP server software that runs the FTP/SFTP interfaces of Files.com
- Maintaining our complex system of allocating dedicated IPs to Files.com customers and keeping those IPs highly available even across server/AZ migrations.
Our Core Beliefs
Here are just some of our Core Beliefs:
We believe that the best Engineers tend to be polyglots with a wide variety of programming language experience. We don’t hire for specific programming language skills, but rather look for engineers who are fluent in several programming languages. We want our staff to be adaptable and ready to evolve to what’s next.
We believe that open-source only works if companies give back. If you work on any open-source projects during the course of your work at Files.com, you are encouraged to submit your improvements as a pull request back to the upstream project. And if you build something from scratch while working here that’s generic and not related to our core products, we want you to release that on GitHub too. We’ll also pay your travel costs to any conference where you can get a speaking gig.
We believe in building products that we actually use ourselves. We are our own toughest critics and we put all of our products through their paces every day.
Salary, Pay, and Benefits
Files.com offers industry-leading salaries based on experience combined with unparalleled flexibility and other benefits to secure top talent.
You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. Go have fun. Don’t work all the time.
We will provide you a laptop and a $1,000 signing bonus to purchase a new monitor, desk, or anything else that would help build or refresh your home office.
We’ll update your salary annually based on your performance, as reviewed by your peers.
We fully pay base plan health insurance premiums (exact plan details depend on your state of residence), and we’ll pick up the tab for 75% of your spouse or dependents if they wish to join your chosen plan. We want your family to be healthy.