Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, or sharing your photos on Snapchat, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Mapbox is the Big Data location company that lays behind the scenes of most popular applications. Our portfolio of geodata is the basis for all of our maps, whether it is a visual map or a navigation map; whether it is a map for business intelligence, logistics, or consumer social app; whether it is roads on a map, buildings on a map, points-of-interest on a map, or mountains on a satellite imagery map, the common foundation on all of them is Data.
The Data Services division is responsible for acquiring, processing, and delivering high quality location-oriented data to enable internal and external customers. The Boundaries team, within Data Services, is responsible for Mapbox’s best in class geographic boundaries that are delivered across multiple layers of our map. The team organizes geographic information on a global scale for our customers in an intuitive hierarchy that is useful for a variety of use cases. Specifically, this means normalizing multiple data sources into consumable, high-quality data layers that accurately and precisely capture 4 million boundary polygons.
What You’ll Do
Our world is not static and, therefore, our data cannot be static. It needs to be constantly updated and available for Mapbox developers to utilize when they want to build a BI dashboard, create a navigation app or customize the world for their audience. We want to expand our API offerings to allow our users to more efficiently consume our data to create their version of a living map. You would lead the design and development of all software systems and features to expand our Data APIs that includes:
- Lead development, maintenance, & operations of expanded Boundaries API offerings
- Work collaboratively across teams to balance development, maintenance, and scalability with end-user needs and business goals
- Make scalable decisions that will keep pace with the developer growth of Mapbox
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services for internal and external customers.
- Over time gain exposure to other geospatial data elements, specifically buildings, POI and address data to consider expansion opportunities of our API portfolio
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Technical Skills
- Experience building scalable APIs, web services or distributed cloud-based architecture
- Experience with Docker
- Working knowledge of Node.js
- Excellent debugging experience and performance profiling that includes running QA or test systems at scale
- Depth and breadth of AWS experience is ideal but not required
- Problem Solving Approach
- Empathy when it comes to listening and understanding complex problems and finding simple solutions
- Autonomy and ability to drive project completion in the face of ambiguity for the customer’s favor
- Ability and willingness pivot to new languages, skills, techniques quickly.
- Desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- Openness to building internal tools to accelerate workflows
- Domain Knowledge
- Prior experience in geospatial programming is a plus
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We value transparent, in-depth communication. Strong culture of open debate, decide, and commit. We value deeply understanding problems and solving them at the root.
- We value the spirit of entrepreneurship, action-orientation, and fast moving ethos.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.