We recently raised $53M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This round was led by the EQT Ventures with participation from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz & Kleiner Perkins. This brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $97M to date. Other past investors include Bloomberg Beta, Designer Fund, and Tank Hill Ventures, as well as the founders of Figma, GitHub, Slack and Yelp.
Engineering Manager, Backend
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~43% woman or non-binary, and are composed of about half as many nationalities as we are team members.
About the role:
The role breaks down into three big parts:
- Expansion: We are rapidly hiring and we need to expand the team. You will help us continue to build a diverse and inclusive team. This involves identifying skills the team needs, shepherding candidates through the hiring process, and building a more reliable, unbiased, and fair hiring process.
- Delivery: Balancing technical debt and new features is always nuanced. You will partner with the product management team to manage this balance in accordance with the needs of the business. You will help define a project management process to help delivery and predictability with the goal of continuously shipping code to production.
- Cultivation: You’ll be instrumental in growing the careers of the individual engineers on your team. This means being their advocate and helping guide them in the direction they want. It also means being a culture driver on the team, fostering a positive, trusting, and supportive team.
We have a small headquarters in San Francisco but we are a largely distributed engineering team. You will need to enable the team to work productively across different timezones. Fostering good habits of documentation, empathy, integrity to delivery on committed work are some of the key elements for success on our team. Experience working and managing remote teams is a big plus.
- Experienced manager of a technical backend team
- Understanding of how engineering teams collaborate and track a project delivery
- Familiarity, or willingness to learn, about the underlying system architecture of a PaaS (e.g. APIs, databases, distributed systems)
- Commitment to designing a hiring process that is fair, efficient, and repeatable
- Communicate priorities and expectations to both team and leadership
- Passion for mentorship and advocacy for your team members in their career development
- Ability to work across multiple timezones with remote colleagues
- A desire to succeed personally through the health and success of the team
Of everything we’ve ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include: A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify. A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.