API Engineering works closely with our community and our internal teams; this role is an excellent fit for someone who is highly collaborative. We are involved in all aspects of API strategy and development: collaborating with product strategy and UX; partnering with internal dev teams on design and architecture of endpoints; strategizing with SRE and security; and working with developer relations and customer support to provide our developer community with tools they love. API Engineering owns the API infrastructure: our gateways and middleware, the clients and CLIs, as well as a growing suite of tools to build, maintain and monitor endpoints. Much of our code is open source.
API Engineering team members are currently a mix of remote and onsite. DigitalOcean supports this position being fully remote. If you’d prefer to be in an office, this position can be based out of our New York or Cambridge offices.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Empathy for our developer users and the customers/stakeholders you support.
- Passion for delivering simple and elegant solutions that developers will love.
- Expertise working cross-functionally with distributed teams.
- Opinions about API, client and CLI design: Who are the inspirational/aspirational companies doing it well or not so well in your estimation?
- Some familiarity/experience with at least two of REST, GraphQL, and gRPC, extensive knowledge of at least one.
- Understanding of API versioning strategies, access control, and other best practices.
- Familiarity with Terraform is a plus.
- Familiarity with OpenAPI v3 and/or API contract testing a plus.