The role of the Development Manager involves a balance of day-to-day personnel management, as well managing development projects in a cross-functional manner. Development managers are not just managers, as they are expected to commit code, but at a different pace than contributing engineers. This is our flagship development team and the opportunity to lead a group of very talented and motivated software engineers.
As Development Manager of the Java Agent team you have a number of responsibilities, but the primary one is to ship product out the door. Your goal is deliver results to the customer and market. To do this you need to make sure the development team is able to work as efficiently as possible and this means making sure they have clear goals, both short term and long term, and that nothing prevents them from doing their work. From the initial project scope to deploying the product out to customer sites, each step is your responsibility. You can, and should, delegate as much as you can but be ready to check that things are being done as you want and be ready to jump in if it is not.
- You love to manage others and make them better developers.
- You love to code and deploy at scale.
- Desire to make the Internet a safer place.
- You approach problems from a product perspective, thinking through how the user will interact with what you’re building.
- You have strong communication skills. You ask questions, let others know when you need help, and tell others what you need.
- You’re a problem solver. You believe the best work is the result of finding the simplest solution to complex challenges.
- You see the big picture. You understand how the code you write interacts with systems and services, both internally and externally.