At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development.
Currently, we are looking for a Data Engineer to help us with that mission. If you are someone who enjoys helping people succeed with technology, aren’t afraid to help improve our practices and our product, and are an effective and enthusiastic self-directed learner, read on.
As the company scales with light-speed, data science is critical for all sorts of decisions.We as a company value data science and have a centralized and growing data science team. Our data science team started in 2018 when we were about 20 people as a company! Now we are a company of 90 people and growing fast! The hire will be responsible for setting and maintaining our data environment, management, and pipeline. Databricks is our primary data environment.
We recently raised $53M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This round was led by the EQT Ventures with participation from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz & Kleiner Perkins. This brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $97M to date. Other past investors include Bloomberg Beta, Designer Fund, and Tank Hill Ventures, as well as the founders of Figma, GitHub, Slack and Yelp.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~43% woman or non-binary, and are composed of about half as many nationalities as we are team members.
About the role:
- Determine and construct data schema to support analytical and modeling needs
- Work on creating and maintaining existing ETL to get data for business users and support our BI dashboard
- Assist in developing a framework to automate ingestion and integration of structured data from a wide variety of data sources
- Use tools, processes, guidelines to ensure data is correct, standardized and documented.
- Assist in scaling pipelines to meet performance requirements
- Collaborate and work alongside data engineers to set up and maintain the production environment to support data science workflow
- Work on a Data retention strategy for different pipelines/sources and help with implementation
- Build frameworks to validate data integrity and work with Infra data engineers to improve the testability of our data pipeline
The data engineer will have an immediate connection to our values. This individual contributor will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “startup” mentality and environment that changes day-to-day.
- 2+ years of professional engineering experience, working with SQL & relational databases building data pipelines
- Experience in data extraction, cleaning, mining and maintaining data pipelines
- Ability to analyze sources of data, build and maintain schemas
- Experience building frameworks to validate data integrity and improve the testability of our data pipelines
- Proved ability to keep proper documentation
- BS in computer science or related background
Nice to have:
- Experience with building scalable and reliable data pipelines using big data engine technologies like Spark, AWS EMR, Redshift, etc.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Experience working with BI
- SaaS Experience
- Some knowledge of web development
Of everything we’ve ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include: A thoughtful cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify. A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.